Saturday, January 8, 2011

Orientación & el Centro Histórico

Hola!

The last two days have been great. Orientation at USFQ was yesterday morning... my host mom dropped me off and I met up with my already-good friends and took a
seat in the giant auditorium. We received several different talks from different representatives within the university - on getting acclimated, on the history of Ecuador, on health and safety. The speakers were all really nice and really funny, but we all pretty much left with our tails between our legs.
But no worries! A large group of us decided to eat lunch in Cumbayá, which is where the campus is located (down the valley from Quito) and we got seated and ended up with two other USFQ students as well. We four UNC students made it through a good hour of conversation and laughs and had a delicious criollo pizza, which is an Ecuadorian specialty with bacon and a type of corn - muy delicioso :) Here's a picture of us:


It was so nice to be out with people my own age and feeling really independent! Except not really - because the two nice USFQ students ended up ordering for us and when I went to purchase my cell phone afterwards, my friend Julie pretty much did all the talking. But still. I went home afterwards.... first time taking the bus alone and I made it. I was soooooooo scared. But I put on this ugly angry brave face and everyone left me alone haha.

So today!

Julie, Lauren, and I decided to explore part of the Old Town of Quito - el centro histórico. We left a little late and spent a lot of our time planning, but this allowed me to pretty much memorize the map and so I'm feeling great about orienting myself :) So after taking 2 buses, we made it and here are some pictures of our day...

Here is a glance at an amazing church - el monastario de San Francisco. Absolutely stunning carvings and attention to detail. Everything is painted gold and unfortunately the front is being renovated so there is a canvas you can see in the pictures.


After this we were a little hungry, so we spotted a little restaurant en frente del monastario. For $2.80, we got soup, french fries, a giant piece of chicken and a coke. And I could have salad too (but I turned it down since it probably would have made me sick). But I was stirring my soup and lo and behold - I found a chicken foot. And then another. Gives a new meaning to chicken noodle soup huh? (I didn't try it, sorry.)

We returned to the plaza and took a few more pictures. Here is Lauren and I (in front of that same monastary):




And here is Julie and I, looking cute sitting next to a fountain:

Though this area had a few tourists, we all still felt very much out of place. Everyone looks at us and it's pretty intimidating! You don't know whether to feel on guard or just flattered because of the stares. Anyway, SO many people were in the old town today. And there are so many indigenous people selling things and little kids running up to you asking if you want to buy something or if they can shine your shoes. You just have to say "no gracias" and keep walking.

I really want to come back. Everything was so cheap! This one woman was selling beautiful scarves, 2 for $5... and there were boots and shoes and beautiful things. But I held back. I'd love to go to a market soon anyway :)

So I'm back home now. No plans for tomorrow but who knows. Feeling much more comfortable now, even though I'm still skittish about certain things. I can't wait to be working again!!!

Also, there are more pictures to be put on facebook.

Adios :)

Cyn

No comments:

Post a Comment