Sunday, March 13, 2011

Cultural Adaptation.

I'm writing today because I remembered this chart they showed us at the study abroad meeting.  Let's see how I compare:

1.) Predeparture ups and downs - To be honest, I had no giant illusions about the semester.  I knew it would be very difficult so my excitement was always tempered by my nervousness about living in a 3rd world country in a language I sort of speak.
2.) Honeymoon phase - Pretty sure I skipped this and went straight into Culture Shock and Acute Homesickness.
3.) Culture Shock and Acute Homesickness - The first week was rough.  I definitely wasn't the only one who thought this - before I got into the swing of school and taking buses, I questioned why I was even here!  Didn't seem worth it but I also knew going home wasn't an option.  Lots of things made me cry.  Not a fun time but inevitable.
4.) Adaptation - Wheeeeeee!  That's where I am now.  Am used to everything - living with another family, getting around the city, balancing work with fun - it's like I've always been here.  Except that there's a lot I miss, and I realized that this week marks the halfway point for me!  Which also means I'm feeling these Pre-return Ups and Downs coming.  I'm already missing a lot of things, excited to come back but knowing it's going to be weird leaving this place I'm coming to love.
Will update about the remaining steps later :)


 
So that was my cute entry about Cultural Adaptation.  Have done nothing of interest this weekend - just relaxing and going out, and today I need to do some homework.  Big surprise - don't feel like it at all :)  I also have a blog I wrote a few days ago that I'm going to publish because I can't think of anything to add to it.

Chau amigos!

Cynthia

No comments:

Post a Comment